The Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) was launched by President Barack Obama as the U.S. government’s signature effort to invest in the next generation of African leaders. The YALI Regional Leadership Center Southern Africa (RLC SA) is hosted by the University of South Africa at the Graduate School of Business Leadership in Midrand, South Africa. It serves as the regional hub across southern Africa to encourage transformational learning and enhance leadership skills.
The RLC SA aims to create critical thinkers who can solve complex, multidisciplinary problems; foster entrepreneurial and innovative thinking; and encourage cross-border communication and multicultural collaboration. The RLC SA develops the skills of young African leaders by providing core training in contemporary African issues, as well as specialized training in three key areas: Business and Entrepreneurship; Civic Leadership and Public Management and Governance.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
· Age (18-35)
· English language proficiency to participate in the Midrand, South Africa-based RLC
· Demonstrated commitment to positively impact their communities, countries, and the African continent
· Proven experience and track record in Public Management, Business and Entrepreneurship, or Civic Leadership
· Citizen of: Angola, Botswana, Comoros, Lesotho, Malawi, Madagascar, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia or Zimbabwe.
· Ability to commit to a four-week residential training program
The program encourages applications from:
· Rural based and economically disadvantaged communities
· Young leaders living with disabilities
· People who are HIV positive or who are living with AIDS
· Individuals that represent and advocate for the rights of LGBTIQ communities across the region
· Other minority groups
Applications are now open until 29 February 2016 (23:59, Pretoria Time Zone) for the April 2016 cohort. The program is residential and requires a commitment to attend all sessions from 11 April 2016 until 6 May 2016. Following the residential program, there is an online project component for three weeks thereafter.
To find information and to apply, visit the YALI RLC SA website: www.yalisouthernafrica.org or to access the application directly, go to www.yalisouthernafrica.melimu.com.Before applying, you will have to register with the system. Once you submit your application, you will receive a confirmation of receipt to your registered email.
For more information contact:
Bento Marcos, Head of Recruitment and Selection, YALI Regional Leadership Center Southern Africa
Tel: +27 11 652 0242; E-mail: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Mandela Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders
Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) | IREX
Follow the Fellowship on Facebook and Twitter.